Let Your Child’s Eyes Do The Talking
Children’s eye exams are vital for several reasons, particularly in the early years. Eye exams can help diagnose vision problems that your child may not be able to verbalize.
80% of learning is visual, and children spend their daily lives learning and absorbing the world around them. A child with undiagnosed vision problems may experience issues with schoolwork, with behaviour in the classroom, and develop low self-esteem.
Eye exams help your child’s optometrist determine the exact cause of vision problems, and provide treatment at the earliest opportunity.
Diagnosing Vision Problems in Children
At Chestermere Optometry, we recommend that your children undergo eye exams at 6 months old, 3 years old, and annually from kindergarten onwards. Young eyes need special care and attention; routine eye exams are vital in your child’s visual health.
As kids grow, their eyes grow right alongside them. It’s up to parents and optometrists to ensure they experience a lifetime of healthy vision. Eye exams help build a complete understanding of a young child’s eye health, and identify any problems in the earliest possible stages.
Here are a few signs to watch for between visits:
- Constantly turning their head to one side
- Easily startled by an object appearing in the peripheral vision
- Pupils do not look the same, especially in photographs
- Family history of conditions like amblyopia (lazy eye)
- Tendency to sit close to the TV
- Holds electronics or books close to the face
- Complains of headaches
- Frustration or difficulty doing close-up tasks
- Favouring an eye when watching TV or reading
- Complaints of headaches
- Complaints of blurred vision
- Difficulties with reading comprehension
- Uses a finger to follow while reading (after Grade 2)
- Loses their place while reading
- Focus issues in class
- Not performing well at school
We Make Your Child Feel at Home
Is your child feeling anxious about their eye exam? At Chestermere Optometry, we provide a comfortable and engaging environment to ensure your kids feel right at home in our practice.
Our optometrists discuss the fine details of our most exciting technologies used in the exam room, and explain all the fascinating features of the human eye with our young patients. Once your child is engaged and ready, their eye exam becomes a fun and enjoyable experience.
Reach out to us today with any questions about children’s eye exams!